Wednesday, June 23, 2010

And The Two Become One


I know it's been awhile since my last blog but you would never believe how busy you are when you're preparing for your sister's wedding (unless of course you've experienced it). I've been looking forward to blogging again in general, but especially about my sister's and new brother's wedding :)
Her eyes are always closed haha but she still is a beautiful lookin bride if ya ask me! :)


I had the privilege this past Saturday to experience my sister's wedding. Not privilege just in the sense that I got to be there but a privilege in the fact that I witnessed the mystery of the gospel in which the two become one. I kind of got thrown into the whole wedding weekend. I flew into Columbus from Nashville (where we were at a internship conference) on wednesday night and got to meet Whitney shortly after :). The joy of seeing her after my time away from her could cover a whole separate blog but I'll spare you that. Anyway, I actually went straight from the airport to our church to start decorating. I have to admit that although there was an overwhelming amount of work to do, the atmosphere even leading up to the wedding was very peaceful. I honestly think a big part of that had to do with the fact that God was undoubtedly smiling down on Chelsea and Josh as they start their ministry as a couple together. I'm very confident in the two of them and I'm proud to call them my sister and brother-in-law.

There were two pretty cool moments for me during the wedding. The first was playing my djembe for their lighting of the unity candle and the song after they exchanged rings. I think it was just sweet to be a part of their wedding in my own unique way. It was also cool because the song for the lighting of the unity candle was congregational worship and I got to play with Whitney! I really enjoy worshiping with her and I don't get to do it that often.

The second moment that really caught me by surprise was after the party had finished walking out and gave Josh a hug and said "It's official brotha!" Again the mystery of the unity of marriage was made evident to me when I realized that I had somehow come to find a new brother in my life. Well... actually, I've never had a brother before! Gosh, now that I think about it, I have so much to catch up on in life! I hope that Josh will be down with me spending some quality time with him. I'd love to go fishing with him or hit the batting cages or whatever it is you can do with a brother.

After the wedding we sent them off and started the monstrous task of clean-up. Which actually isn't as bad as it sounds. Thanks to an incredible family on both sides of the tree, clean up went swimmingly. I am so thankful for family after this weekend! They are the only reason all of that work got done before a wedding. It is a beautiful thing to see the product of family put together a beautiful wedding only to perpetuate the cycle of family loving on each other. I believe that there are no perfect families, but through this wedding, mine has shown me an incredible example of what it looks like to live in a godly community with each other :)

Sunday, Whitney and I got to hang out with two of my favorite people on this earth... Chris and Amy Davis! They are a great example of a newly married couple who are seeking Christ in every aspect of their lives. Plus, I love the relationship that I have with both Chris and Amy. It's not every day you get to enjoy the company of two people as cool as them. So Chris and I had a little jam session while the girls chatted about wedding stuff and then we went home to prepare for a long drive to meet Chad in Illinois before Whitney drove up to school. Two things are sad about this trip... saying goodbye and long-distance relationships.

Love you all,

Jord

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post. I have one objection... I want to be considered your brother too :) Even if I'm your second brother, I want the title! Love and Miss you... I've been thinking about you a lot latley... Jord thanks so much for everything over the years. You are amazing bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted a comment on this before, but I don't think it showed up. Great post! So glad to be your brother and can't wait to do brother things with you!

    ReplyDelete